Thursday, August 21, 2008

"Level Valley" Creamery Route

Last night was a special training route for the Ozaukee Bike Club (OBC). Special as in treacherous climbs and a killer race pace. Anyone that has heard me talk knows that the OBC rides are tough with varying skill levels throughout the field from Cat 2's down to enthusiastic roadies. I had set a goal early this spring to be able to hang with the 'A' group on any particular route this group does on Wednesday nights, but I had no idea that I would accomplish this task on one of the toughest routes known to the OBC.
.
I wasn't feeling the greatest from the get go as my wisdom teeth were bothering me. It seems as though once a week they really hurt -like a 6 out of a 10. Last night was a definite 6. It's a dull pain though so I can withstand it. Anyways, we rolled out and Brian Petted and I sat on the front for the warm up and up the first climb. This was key as there were two bitchin' climbs about four miles up the road and we were able to reintegrate about six riders back to recover before the climbs. Climb #1 went well and I was one of the first few up; Climb #2 is a 15% 1/4 mile wall of pain that you cannot get any momentum on because of the short 2/10 mile 5% just before it. I was not far back off the couple leaders once again, but I was severely hurting. I was soon passed by the remainder of the 'A' group and was in no mans land. Grant and Tom shot up behind me about a minute later and the train was on the way to catch the group. Our train caught the 'A' group just before the next grinder of a climber. Somehow I found the legs and muscled up it second wheel. Unfortunately this surge caused Tom, who had just caught back on the 'A' group, to be spit out the back in no man's land. Sidebar: Tom and I have both been struggling all season to be able to hang with the 'A' group... Keep pushing it Tom!
.
The next 10 miles we set up a decent rotating pace line at about 27-28 mph until the descent down Paradise Drive (Rustic Road section) and onto Washington Drive where everyone was saving up energy for the final sprint a few miles down the road on Pleasant Valley. I was feeling well recovered just before the first little hill on Washington and spring boarded off the front and launched a full fledged attack......that only lasted until the base of the second hill. Didn't have enough in the tank to keep going, but softened up some legs for the final sprint which was growing imminent.
.
We turned from CTH Y onto Pleasant Valley and I was smelling the finish, but I didn't have anything at all left in the tank to contest the sprint. The final 1.5 mile false flat and two small uphills killed me and I trickled in six wheels back. Rolled into the lot in sheer pain. Nauseous. Wisdom teeth killing me, causing so much pain that it affected my hearing.
.
Despite all the pain, suffering and misery, I felt damn good. Another goal accomplished. I can't wait for the ABR Fall Fling Series. Bring it!

No comments: